Sunday, 20 June 2010

FATHERS DAY IN THE MISSION HOUSE

Well it’s that time of the year again, when daddy Mission gets to put his feet up and RELAX for the whole day. So today will be no different than yesterday then!

Most Dad’s tend to get away with murder , by constantly using phrases such as “I’m just having 5 minutes” (an hour later), or “I will do it in a minute” (5 hours later), but the best Daddy phrase in our house is “I’ve been at work ALL day” (ring any bells?).

But it is Fathers day and we do make exceptions for them on this one day of the year, we buy them cards, big chocolate slab (which will take them until next year to get through) and a special gift either comprising of a t shirt with a funny slogan on it, or a mug that will be put in the cupboard with last years and the years before.

So why is it so hard to buy for the big man himself? Well if you have a new age dad he isn’t that hard to buy for because nowadays you can buy them skincare ranges, aftershave and vouchers for modern shops.

But for the dad that is older than 35 well forget any of the above or you will hear those fateful words “what did you buy that for?”

So in our Mission family we not only have Daddy Mission to buy for but Granddad Mission and Great Granddad Mission three very different characters:

Daddy Mission:

He is one of the hardest to buy for out of the three other Daddy Missions in my life. He is very picky, always says “I don’t need anything” but then he would moan if we didn’t bother, but most of all he is very stubborn! So buying for him is like buying for a great aunt you only ever see at Christmas and I would go as far as saying buying for Daddy Mission is harder than child birth! So we generally have to listen out for the subtle hints he does give once every blue moon and act on them as quickly as possible.

Granddad Mission (my Daddy):

He is a little easier to buy for; he loves the whole Fathers Day kitsch you know the stuff you can only get on Father’s day! He loves the mugs, the key rings, the chocolates and the t shirts. But NEVER cross his door with anything that even remotely looks like it’s come from the beauty counter at Debenhams! Even taking him a bottle of aftershave his question would be “what do you think I am?” He just isn’t with IT! So my life is made very easy on Father’s day as the normal gift would be a t shirt containing a slogan, such as “Mr Grumpy”, “Grouchy” or even “I know I’m a dad because I’m poor”, a box of Mini chocolates and a mug.

But this year my little sister came up with a fabulous idea of but him theatre tickets! But I do have the above all wrapped up just in case the tickets go down like a lead balloon.



Great Granddad Mission (My Granddad):

Well he is the easiest man in the world to buy for, with a passion for gardening, painting and carving he is such a dream to buy for. But this Fathers day he is in Ireland and we won’t be spending it with him, but we will be seeing him sometime in the holidays so we will make sure he gets spoilt rotten then.

So I suppose the one thing I have got to look forward to in the future of Father’s Days, is the older the other two get the easier they will be to buy for!

No comments:

Post a Comment