Friday, 18 March 2011

I love what i do.



I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones.  Not having to commute to work every day, no traffic jams, no office politics, no boss to scream and shout at me.  Someone asked me a few days ago what I love the most about working from home.

I didn’t have to even think about it, I had a million and one things running around my head so here are my top 10 things I love about working from home:

  1. In the summer I can take my laptop out into the garden and work.  Not only is this beneficial to my own well being, but i can think back to those days when I worked in stuffy offices with no air conditioning.  I can also have a sneaky ice lolly because no one is watching me (well except for that dodgy neighbour)

  2. I no longer have to worry about the washing, if it’s sunny I can step away from my desk and put the washing out and if it starts to rain I can step away from my desk and bring it back in.

  3. I never get to work and think “Shit, I forgot to put the bin out” or “Crap, I forgot my lunch”

  4. I can work wherever I want to.  In the conservatory, in the kitchen, in the garden or even in Asda!  Yep that’s right folks with the art of modern technology I have the ability to answer emails, even when I’m doing my weekly shop.

  5. Distractions, there are hundreds of them every day in the office.  At home I have none, well apart from little monster but he is a welcome distraction.  I don’t have to get caught up in the office bitch fest and I certainly don’t have to worry about getting caught by the office creep!

  6. Childcare fee’s, these were the Bain of my life.  I seemed to be working just to pay these, no more!  I can do both school runs and be there in the holidays.  Even when the school calls to say little Princess is sick I can go without the worry of a boss breathing down my neck.

  7. A little siesta, these were never possible in the office and only ever possible now if monster is poorly as he never sleeps in the day.  But just to curl up on the sofa and have a 10 minute power nap, wow it really does work.

  8. Office wardrobe, in the office these consisted of either a smart uniform or a simple dress code.  Not on my watch my office dress code is anything from PJ’s, hoodies and jeans, or baggy jumpers and leggings and maybe the odd pair of tracksuit pants.  Unless I’m meeting with a client or networking then it’s back to smart and sensible.

  9. Working whenever I want to.  I suffer from insomnia from time to time, so I will put this time to good use by finishing clients files, sorting out my own paperwork or even doing a bit of blogging.

  10.  The greatest thing about working from home is the freedom. I can eat and drink at my desk, I can talk to my sister on the phone, I can work from the local coffee shop if I need some fresh air, I can be as creative as I want to be with my work and no one will tell me I can’t do it, I can nip to the park for a game of footie with monster as long as I have my phone with me for important emails, I can do whatever I want and I LOVE IT.


So that’s it all those things above are all the things I love because I am extremely lucky enough to be able to work from home.  There are downsides, but the ups outweigh the down.

I have always wanted to be able to work from home, we could never afford for me to be a SAHM, so I had to work for the sake of my family, but now I do work from home and I love what I do.

check us out at www.freelance-media.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. Hi - just wanted to drop in and say a)I'm very jealous of your lovely flashy blog and b)I'm very jealous of the fact you can be a SAHM (what I am working towards!)
    Really - great site! Cute kid
    Love
    Evey@PolythenePram
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww it has taken me years to become a WAHM and the blog well that was easy enough to change and stuff. Im going to look at yours today ;0) xxxx

    ReplyDelete